On 10 November 2020, the Government announced funding to East Riding of Yorkshire Council to support those most in need with the cost of food, energy (Heating, cooking, lighting), water bills (including sewerage) and other essentials.

The aim is to give vulnerable households peace of mind in the run up to Christmas and over the Winter months during the pandemic, so children will be warm and well-fed this winter.

Our original scheme was launched 7 December 2020 and closed 20 December 2020. We have now re-opened the scheme for NEW applicants which will close 31 January 2021.

Due to the limited nature of the funding available, East Riding of Yorkshire Council will implement the Winter Grant Scheme as a discretionary scheme in a phased approach , until the one-off funding has been fully utilised.

The funding available will not be sufficient to provide support to all vulnerable individuals and families, therefore we have prioritised the funding, as follows:

  • To support households with children, where the applicant meets the criteria to entitle a child to free school meals
  • To support households who have claimed universal credit since 23 March and whose income is less than £16,000 annually
  • To support individuals who have a social care package and have seen an increase in their household food and fuel since 23 March 2020
  • To support individuals where their annual income is less that £13,600 annually

Where an applicant is successful, they will receive:

  • £45.00 for food per child
  • £30 per household for utilities
  • Where an application is submitted for essential items, this will be determined on a case by case basis. The Council will not award grants where funds are no longer available to do so.

The Council are asking schools to promote this scheme to vulnerable households. For more information, criteria of the grants and how to apply, go to https://covid19.eastriding.gov.uk/support/

Where residents may not be eligible for this grant, the Council has a benefit eligibility checker, this can be used to see if parents are entitled to other forms of financial support http://www.budget.entitledto.co.uk/eastriding/budgets

The Council also have an emergency assistance scheme available to residents who have had an interruption to their income and where they require support to remain in the Community, for more information, criteria of the grants and how to apply, go to https://www.eastriding.gov.uk/living/emergency-assistance/