Equality, Diversity & SMSC
Equality & Diversity
Inmans Primary School is committed to creating an inclusive environment, where everyone is treated with dignity and respect and where we anticipate and respond positively to different needs and circumstances so that everyone can achieve their potential.
We are committed to promoting and advancing equality of opportunity for those with protected characteristics, not only because it is an important part of the mission, vision and values of our school, but also because by attracting and retaining the most diverse range of students and staff, we will ensure Inmans Primary School’s future success.
We believe that everyone has the right to be treated fairly and without discrimination, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, circumstances or background in accordance with the Equalities Act 2010.
We will consult and involve those affected by inequality in the decisions Inmans Primary School takes to promote equality and eliminate discrimination through our Staff Forums, Parents Consultation Evenings, Parent Engagement Meetings, Local Governing Body, Whole School Events and discussions with the Local Community.
Inmans Primary School complies with the Public Sector Equality Duty, which came into force in April 2011 (Section 149 of the Equality Act 2010). We ensure this by annually updating the Equality and Diversity Policy (current version ).
Our Equality and Diversity Policy ensures that when we carry out our work we have due regards to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who don’t
- Encourage good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who don’t
SMSC - spiritual, moral, social and cultural
Inmans Primary School is a centre of excellence for SMSC and a beacon of best practice. We are changing lives and transforming the opportunities of our students through the ‘Golden Thread of SMSC’ which has been skillfully woven throughout our curriculum.
Inmans Primary School recognises that the spiritual, moral, social and cultural element of students’ education is crucial to their development as an individual. The Inmans Primary School community contributes to a purposeful learning environment that is themed to inspire a strong sense of learning and encourages children to develop a cohesive community identity – preparing its members to take their rightful place as a local, national and global citizen in modern Britain.
At Inmans Primary School, we actively promote the fundamental British Values. Our aim is to develop our children’s self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence, thus equipping children to distinguish right from wrong in all of the above SMSC areas for development. Our hope is that Inmans children leave Primary Education as tolerant, liberal, respectful members of the Modern British community with an appreciation and understanding of democracy and rule of law.
At Inmans Primary School, we will:
– Enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence;
– Enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
– Encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely;
– Enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England;
– Further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation for and respect for their own and other cultures;
– Encourage respect for other people;
– Encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
Here is a copy of our Teaching British Values
Here is a copy of our SMSC Policy
More information can be read about our GOLD award verification HERE