Stages Of Support


Stages of Support
The three stages of SEND support at Inmans Primary School are:
  • Intervention
  • SEN Graduated response
  • Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
Glossary of terms

Please take a look at our glossary. You may find that some if these words and acronyms are commonly used on our website and documents when talking about inclusion. 

ADHD – Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder

AR – Annual Review – the yearly review of a statement

ASC/ASD – Autistic Spectrum Condition/Disorder

CAF – Common Assessment Framework. A method of assessment which can be used by social services, health or education. It is non statutory i.e it does not replace a statutory assessment.

CAMHS – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services

CCG – Clinical Commissioning Group. A CCG plans and arranges the delivery of health care provision for people in its area.

CP – Cerebral Palsy is a physical impairment that affects movement.

CSDPA – Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970. This is one of the main Acts of Parliament which entitle disabled people to social care.

DfE – Department for Education

Early Years Provider – A provider of early education places for children under five. This can include state funded and private nurseries.

EHC Plan – An education, health and care plan which may be produced at the end on an education, health and care needs assessment.

EP – Educational Psychologist.

EWO – Education Welfare Officer

EYFS – The Early Years Foundation Stage. A statutory framework which covers children both in pre-school settings and in reception classes up to their fifth birthday.

FE – Further education which includes further education colleges, sixth form colleges, specialist colleges and adult education institutions. It does not include universities.

Independent Supporter – A person recruited locally by a voluntary or community sector organisation to help families going through an EHC needs assessment and the process of developing a EHC Plan.

LA – Local Authority in England

Mainstream School – State school which can meet the needs of most children.

Mediation – A method of seeking to resolve disagreements by going to an  independent mediator. Mediation must be offered to a parent or young person in relation to an EHC Plan. Mediation is not compulsory for the parent or young person but they will need to consider mediation before appealing the education parts of an EHC plan in most cases with the exception of an appeal over placement only.

MLD – Moderate learning difficulties

National curriculum – A statutory entitlement to learning of all pupils determining what should be taught and setting attainment targets for learning.

OCD – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

ODD – Oppositional Defiance Disorder

Ofsted – Office of Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. This is the body which inspects and regulates services which care for children and young people and those providing education and skills for learners of all ages.

OT – Occupational Therapy, sometimes used to refer to the occupational therapist.

Outside Agencies – Professions who may not work in a school but may offer support to pupils with special needs

Paed – Paediatrician

PDD – Pervasive Developmental Disorder

Personal budget – A Personal Budget is the notional amount of money which an LA has identified as necessary to secure the special educational provision in the EHC plan.

SEN – Special educational needs.

SENCO – Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator-the teacher with responsibility for co-ordinating special help for children with SEN at their school.

SEND – Special Educational Needs and Disability

SEN Support – The first stage of SEN provision

SLT or SALT – Speech and Language Therapy, sometimes used to refer to the Speech and Language Therapist

TA – Teaching Assistant also sometimes called Learning Support Assistant (LSA)


info coming soon

SEN Graduated Response

info coming soon

Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

If children fail to make progress, in spite of high quality, targeted support with intervention & SEN Graduated response, we may apply for the child to be assessed for an EHCP.  Parents are fully consulted at each stage.  Parents and external agencies may also request an EHCP, in which case the school will provide appropriate information to the Local Authority (LA).

Generally, we apply for an EHCP if the child has a complex disability and / or the child’s achievements are so far below their peers that it is not possible to meet the child’s needs from within school’s resources.

Having a diagnosis (e.g. of ASD, ADHD or dyslexia) does not necessarily mean that a child needs an EHCP.

Each Local Authority provides assessment guidelines on thresholds for EHCP’s. For more guidance please see the Local Offer

If the application for an EHCP is successful, a member of the Local Authority will call a meeting for parents, the child and the school together with any health or social care professionals who are involved with the family.  The meeting will record the child’s strengths, their dreams and aspirations as well as the barriers they face.  Following the meeting, the Local Authority will produce the EHCP which will record the decisions made at the meeting.